Thursday, 23 April 2009

A Day in Orange - Part Two

Third and final session in Orange (I will post the first one once I get permission).

Talk about ending with a BANG! Ewan and Eloise could not have more completely different personalities if they tried. Ewan is so very quiet and shy, and really really intelligent. His reading level is amazing, and he loves cricket and soccer. Oh and his favourite food is chicken chips. He was a very tough nut to crack. He made me work for it, but when he did open up I got to see the real him which was really special for me actually.

I am happy when kids are able to do that with me, even if we have to warm up a lot first. I mean, these kids don't know me. And here I come all loud and curly haired, asking them questions, telling them what to do/where to sit and then pointing my big black camera in their faces and expect them to relax? Nup, doesnt work like that. Sometimes on the rare occasion it does, other times it really does take time.

And then it doesn't. Eloise... well! What a dynamite! She couldn't wait for it to be her turn on her own, and did she ever ham it up for me. No problems cracking her, she followed all direction really well and I had to calm her down a few times, little monkey!! It is good to be able to also relax into myself and get creative with these little gems who are willing to just go for anything and try anything and throw suggestions at me.

The thing is, from one extreme to the next, it really doesn't bother me. Kids speak the truth, their own truth. You cannot expect them to be themselves with a stranger instantly. It's great for me if it happens, but if it doesn't right away - I know it will, even if it takes 3 hours. I have worked with children in the past, and I work with them now. Plus, I own three of them so I do have a fair idea about what works with kids and what they see straight through. I AM genuinely interested in what sports they like or what food is their favourite, and they can see that I actually DO want to know! It's all for the greater good...

Enough rambling, here's the cute kids...























1 comment:

Alyssa said...

You take gorgeous photo's. Love them xx